Youth Job Connection Summer
Applications are now closed.
Applications will reopen in August 2020 for part time employment during the school year.
Are you 15 to 18, and returning to school in September? Do you live in London, Ontario or surrounding area? Are you looking for a summer job or part-time job during the school year?” Let the Goodwill Career Centre help!
The Youth Job Connection Summer Program includes one week of (paid) intensive pre-employment preparation, help finding summer job opportunities, and follow-up support to help you succeed on the job.
Last year we helped 47 youth reach their goal of having a stable summer job with a supportive employer in the community.
- 20 hours of paid workshops
- Explore your career options and the job market
- A summer job placement with an employer in the community (job opportunities discussed at your intake appointment)
- Pay for work clothing, training, and other potential related costs
- Get training and work experience
- Develop new skills
To open downloaded form:
1. Save the file to your computer in an easy to find location
2. Locate the file and right click
3. Open with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
Rushel Briscoe (She/Her)
Intensive Supports Manager
Goodwill Career Centre
255 Horton Street, London, ON N6B 1L1
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the program eligibility for Youth Job Connection Summer (YJCS)?
Participants must be:
- 15 to 18 years old at time of registration
- A resident of Ontario;
- Eligible to work in Canada;
- High school students and will be returning to high school or access postsecondary education after their job placement
2. How is YJCS being facilitated?
The 20 hours of pre-employment training will be delivered by Goodwill Employment professionals using the platform Zoom https://zoom.us/ . The workshops are highly interactive and use a variety of tools to appeal to all learning styles.
3. When does the program start?
The 20 hours of pre-employment will begin Monday July 6, 2020 using Zoom. A detailed email will be sent to participant prior to the start of the workshop outline the workshop details.
4. When will I start my placement?
Upon completion of the 20 hours of pre-employment, participants will work one-on-one with our Job Development team to find a suitable opportunity. Placement opportunities can be during the summer or for a maximum of 10 hours a week during the school year.
5. Which businesses are hiring right now?
In line with the provincial government’s mandate that essential services remain open as the COVID-19 situation continues to unfold, specific industries and businesses are hiring.
A full list of essential business can be found here: https://www.ontario.ca/page/list-essential-workplaces
6. How will my interview be done?
Depending on the position, interviews may be conducted in person, phone, Skype, and Zoom. We will support you through this process.
7. What can I do to protect myself?
Continue to practice good hand washing techniques and hygiene practices:
- Wash your hands often
- Wash for at least 20 seconds with soap and hot water
- Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer only if soap and water are not available
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands
- Sneeze or cough into your elbow
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Don’t go out if you are ill