Job Developer (Chatham)
Goodwill Industries is a non-profit social enterprise that provides work opportunities, skills development, and employee and family strengthening for people who face barriers such as disability or social disadvantage. The aim is to advance individuals, families and communities toward economic self-sufficiency and prosperity.
Goodwill Industries, Ontario Great Lakes, one of five regional Goodwills in Canada, serves communities across Ontario, and employs 1,200 people on a variety of social enterprise work platforms. The organization is positioned for accelerated growth and is aiming to create 900 new jobs over the next five years.
The Job Developer is responsible for proactively developing employment opportunities for individuals who face barriers to employment through vigorous employer outreach and providing job coaching supports when necessary to facilitate a successful transition into the workplace and encourage ongoing retention.
Role and Responsibilities
- Meet weekly prospecting and placement targets established by management team using the tracking tools provided and adhering to the guidelines and established processes
- Plan and organize job fairs, information sessions and employer presentations on a regular basis
- Network with community partners and contacts; maintain a high level of knowledge regarding current employment trends and opportunities.
- Meet with employers to discuss and explore potential employment opportunities, promote the services of Goodwill as a whole.
- Maintain a diverse employer portfolio in various sectors, including those in high demand
- Develop job placement action plans, and follow through with clients to ensure improved access to the labour market (i.e. work placements, job trials, evaluation periods, volunteer opportunities)
- Negotiate Training Incentive contracts with employers according to current guidelines, identifying employer needs and workplace opportunities for clients
- Be intimately familiar with all of the funder programs and differences within (EO-ES, COJG, OW, YJC, ODSP, etc.)
- Assess Employers suitability to hire and host placements (Insurance, Health & Safety, Workplace Environment, Workplace Capacity Assessment)
- Prepare and maintain necessary documentation for file administration and accounting procedures, including invoicing and contract negotiation.
- Assist in assessing individuals’ current level of readiness for available workplace opportunities
- Maintain contact with clients regarding job search progress, the development of leads, and follow-up with clients and employers after interviews to determine next steps
- Meet with other team members on an ongoing basis to discuss mutual client progress and work cooperatively with all staff to ensure the highest quality of service standard is consistently maintained.
- Support the employer and client in successful transition into the workplace and ongoing retention by developing solid job matches and providing on site coaching supports as required
- Maintain up-to-date notes and placement information in case management system whenever there is new activity with a client or employer.
- Engage Job Developer Lead to review/advise on training plan and negotiation prior to approval by Director/Manager
- Actively case manage a caseload in a responsive and supportive manner
- Maintain professional and administrative relationships with all staff to ensure proper documentation is prepared and client status is properly monitored.
- Be actively involved in the health, well-being and safety of themselves and their team
- Follow all safety standards set out in legislation and/or Goodwill policies
- Adhere to our Public Relations policy, acting as a ‘positive ambassador’ when representing Goodwill’s brand in the community
- Perform other tasks as required by agency management
- A combination of Post-Secondary education and/or experience that includes Social Sciences, Humanities along with Business or Marketing education
- Experience with a minimum of two years’ experience, or an equivalent combination of relevant training and experiential learning
- Ability to source and contact new employers, to develop and maintain good working relationships with employers and community partners
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills, with the ability to maintain excellent professional working relationships with all levels of staff
- Ability to effectively interview clients and employers to identify and determine needs, interests, and potential workplace opportunities
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations in a multi-cultural environment, and establish rapport with clients facing multiple employment barriers
- Flexibility and adaptability to effectively and efficiently respond to changing circumstances and events.
- Ability to multi-task and meet established targets, outcomes and deadlines
- Computer skills, including Intranet correspondence and scheduling, digital correspondence, Internet research and information gathering
- Use creativity and initiative to generate workplace opportunities, problem solve, interact effectively and efficiently with clients and employers, address job search issues, attend meetings, and prepare correspondence as required.
- Knowledge of assessment and interviewing techniques
- Knowledge of labour market conditions and current economic trends
- Join an organization that is dedicated to helping people who face barriers to employment and committed to sustainability and reducing environmental impact
- Be part of a non-profit, social enterprise that is positioned for accelerated growth
- Continue developing your skills and expanding your network in a busy, challenging and creative working environment
- Flexible working hours
- Work in an open environment with various work spaces and collaboration areas
- Receive a competitive compensation package and comprehensive benefit plan, including health, dental, and vision
Goodwill Industries is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment where all employees and members feel valued, respected, and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live and serve, and where every team member has the opportunity to reach their full potential.