Goodwill Industries is a non-profit social enterprise that provides work opportunities, skills development, and employee and family strengthening for people who face barriers such as disability or social disadvantage. The aim is to advance individuals, families and communities toward economic self-sufficiency and prosperity.
Goodwill Industries, Ontario Great Lakes, one of five regional Goodwills in Canada, serves communities across Ontario, and employs 1,000 people on a variety of social enterprise work platforms. Goodwill is positioned for accelerated growth and is aiming to create 900 new jobs over the next five years.
The Employment Specialist is responsible for assisting job seekers to obtain and maintain employment through intake and case management , employment planning and coordinating service delivery.
Role and Responsibilities
- Complete person-centered intakes to assess and identify client need
- Liaise with referral workers and clients during the Intake process by gathering information, informing of acceptance and eligibility, informing of the process of services and maintaining on-going contact with funders.
- Assist each client in developing a vocational outcome and/or arranging the enrollment of the client into the appropriate assessments and or services, monitoring all facets thereof
- Develop an Employment Plan, which outlines eligibility for funded services and the steps to obtain their employment goal, using Common Assessment process as a reference
- Effectively manage a caseload, providing case management supports to assist job seekers to develop coping strategies related to job search, ensuring clients are making progress
- Refer clients to community agencies and other community resources.
- Follow established policies and procedures to ensure adherence to program guidelines.
- Work within an interdisciplinary team to help clients progress.
- Maintain all necessary documentation using electronic and hard file methods.
- Provide support/advocacy to clients as required.
- Follow the Customer Care Cycle (I Care) consistently providing world class customer service to all customers, internal and external, of Goodwill.
- Coordinate and participate in outreach activities to increase referrals and enhance opportunities for community collaboration (ie presentations; job fairs)
- Adhere to our Public Relations policy, acting as a ‘positive ambassador’ when representing Goodwill’s brand in the community
- Perform other related activities, as necessary or as assigned
- Follow all safety standards set out in legislation and/or Goodwill policies
- Be actively involved in the health, well-being and safety of themselves and their team
- Diploma or degree in related field (Social Services, Counselling)
- Professional development in social services, life skills, coaching or employment
- 3-5 years’ experience working with people with disabilities and/or psychosocial disadvantages preferred
- Acceptable criminal reference check
- Excellent oral/written communication skills
- Common Assessment Training; Knowledge of current labour market trends preferred
- Experience in employment counselling
- Experience/knowledge of Supported Employment Model.
- Experience/knowledge working with persons with disabilities, including mental health diagnoses, psychosocial disadvantages, programs and community resources
- Knowledge of working with individuals experiencing poverty, mental health concerns, addictions etc.
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Strong organization and communication skills, conflict resolution
- Join an organization that is dedicated to helping people who face barriers to employment and committed to sustainability and reducing environmental impact
- Social enterprise that is positioned for accelerated growth
- Continue developing your skills and expanding your network in a busy, challenging and creative working environment
- Flexible working hours
- Work in an open environment with various work spaces and collaboration areas
- Receive a competitive compensation package and comprehensive benefit plan, including health, dental, and vision
Goodwill Industries is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment where all employees and members feel valued, respected, and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live and serve, and where every team member has the opportunity to reach their full potential